Friday, January 14, 2011

My Bad

               The one thing that my establishment has a low tolerance for is people getting sick and vomiting.  If a person gets sick, after they relieve themselves they are asked to leave.  This story involves one such occasion and how I was responsible for it.
                I have received a lot of weird request before, but the latest one I have to admit was a good one.  A woman approached the bar and asked for a shot of something to get rid of smokers’ breath.  She didn’t ask for gum, mint, or anything else that could cure the problem.  Instead she asked for a flavored shot to do the trick.  Immediately I thought of peppermint, and one of the strongest peppermint flavored alcohols is Rumpleminze.  So I served two shots for her and a friend (who was male) this point will be important later.
                It was funny because they made the “it burned going down” face and stated that I was wrong for my selection.  I guess I could have chosen Goldschlager for the cinnamon flavor, but I figured they needed something that was a little more potent.
                So here is why the fact that the friend was male is relevant.  A few moments after the two consumed their shots I went to the restroom.  When I got in there I heard someone vomiting and I was like that doesn’t sound good.  Unfortunately a member of the security staff came in as well during his relief.  So this meant even though he made it to the restroom he had to vacate the premises.  I was washing my hands when he finally made it out and guess who it was?  Yes, the Rumpleminze shot guy.  He just took the shot and a few minutes later he was vomiting.  They security guy said, “I’m sorry but you have to leave.”  Shot guy said, “I’m fine I’m not drunk the shot just made me sick.”  Meanwhile I’m standing right there while all of this is taking place, and I felt so bad because I was the one who served it to him.  All I could do was apologize.
                I went back to work not expecting to see him again and a few minutes later he was back at the bar with his lady friend.  I guess the security guy had a change of heart and decided to let him stay.  However, his lady friend was mad because she just spent almost $20.00 on the shots and he just vomited.  The funny part is she was giving him a hard time about how he was punk and couldn’t hold his liquor and she was a female still sober and fine.  Being a jokester I couldn’t help but put my two cents worth in about his tolerance.  It turned out to be a good night for them and I’m sure he won’t drink Rumpleminze again.
                It’s a good chance that some of the shots I made were responsible for people getting sick and having to leave, but it hits home when I know definitely that someone I just served got sick.  That’s one thing that I’m not proud of as a Bartender.  Even though I joked around with them after the fact, I would’ve felt bad if he had to leave.  Stay tuned tomorrow for a story called “Land of Opportunity.”

               These stories are real accounts, so if you plan to drink and have a good time do so responsibly. Remember to call a cab or a friend because the cost of a DWI is way more than a $20 cab ride home. Also, if you plan or happen to take someone home use protection. For two reasons, one there are many STD’s floating out there and it only takes one to ruin your life or that of others. The second reason is because a $3 condom is less expensive then 18 years of raising a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment