Friday, October 22, 2010

I"m a Survivor

One thing that I enjoy about my job is meeting new people.  Over the years I’ve met celebrity singers, rappers, NFL players, millionaires, retired wrestlers, young people, old people, and just people from all different walks of life.
On this particular day I met a couple from out of town who were visiting to get away for the weekend and attend a concert.  They had teenage children and were recently married.  We’ll call them Jack and Jill.  They stopped by our establishment for some pre-gaming before the concert.  Jack had domestic beers while Jill had a glass of wine.  She allowed Jack to drink more because she had to drive to the concert.  This couple was interesting for a few different reasons.  While engaging in conversation I learned a lot about them.  For instance, Jack loved the band they were going to see while Jill had never heard of them (I had never heard of them either).  The one thing that stuck with me about this couple was that Jill was a cancer survivor (I won’t disclose what kind in respect of her privacy).  After hearing this I gave her a big high five and congratulations.  It also touched me because a lot of my family members have passed due to cancer and she was able to overcome it.  So in honor of all cancer survivors I salute and commend you on winning your battle against cancer.
Since I had built somewhat of a bond with this couple, they decided to come back after the concert.  Jill loved the concert although she had never heard of them and now they have a new fan.  I took care of them until they departed and wished the couple a safe trip back home.
Some people are given second chances at life and others are not as fortunate.  With this in mind you should live your life to the fullest everyday because tomorrow is not promised to any of us.  Don’t hold grudges and forgive those who have done harm to you and ask for forgiveness from those you have done harm to.  Stay tuned tomorrow for a story called "Drag Racing."
These stories are real accounts, so if you plan to drink and have a good time do so responsibly. Remember to call a cab or a friend because the cost of a DWI is way more than a $20 cab ride home.  Also, if you plan or happen to take someone home use protection.  For two reasons, one there are many STD’s floating out there and it only takes one to ruin your life or that of others.  The second reason is because a $3 condom is less expensive then 18 years of raising a child.

2 comments: